This recipe has all the flavor a classic Thanksgiving stuffing…but won’t leave you with a raging gluten hangover.
Because so many of our Campers avoid “the glu” (our sometimes code-name for gluten) we wanted to give you a Thanksgiving option that has all the flavors and fixins’ you’ll find in a traditional stuffing but give it a totally whole-grain, healthified makeover.
Preeeetty sure we nailed it with this one. What do you think?
Gluten Free Orange Quinoa and Sage Stuffing
Time: 40 minutes
- 2 cups quinoa, well rinsed
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 tsp dried sage OR 2 tablespoons chopped fresh
- 1 tsp dried parsley OR ¼ cup chopped fresh
- ½ cup of walnuts, roughly chopped and toasted
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped (can use white button, baby bellas or any kind)
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil for cooking plus more quinoa
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
*Note: save a little parsley, zest and walnuts for garnishing at the end
Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a medium sized pot. Then add your quinoa, a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper. Cover and reduce the heat to a simmer, then cook the quinoa for 15 minutes, or until most of the water has been absorbed (quinoa will continue to bake in oven so it’s okay if it’s a little wetter than usual).
In a separate pan heat extra virgin olive oil on medium-high heat. Sauté onions with garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook until golden brown, about 6-7 minutes.
Add celery, mushrooms and herbs and season generously with salt and pepper. Continue to cook an additional 5-6 minutes (until mushrooms begin to brown).