Since a crumble just has a party on the top you can skip all the sugar-filled processed bummer that is, a full pie crust. We love this recipe because it’s full of spices (ginger with the fruit and nutmeg and cinnamon in the crust) but low on sugar. It’s savory and sweet making it the perfect way to close out a special meal.
You could put a little coconut based ice cream or whipped cream on top and that would not be a bad idea as far as your taste buds are concerned…
Spiced Apple + Pear Crumble
Time: 1 hour
- 3 apples, cored and sliced
- 2 pears, cored and sliced
- 2 tablespoons raw brown (turbinado) sugar, preferably organic
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped candied ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch or arrowroot
- 1 1/4 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup quinoa flour (grind quinoa in a spice mill to make the flour)
- 1/3 cup unrefined turbinado sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, mix together the apples, pears, sugar, lemon juice, candied ginger, vanilla extract, and cornstarch or arrowroot.
Put the apple pear mix (and all the juice) into the baking dish.
Make the crumble by placing the oats, quinoa flour, sugar, salt and nutmeg in a food processor fitted with the steel blade, and pulse several times to combine.
The add the cold butter, and pulse until the butter is evenly distributed throughout. The mixture should have a crumbly consistency.
Spread the crumble evenly over the apple/pear mix. Place it in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes turning it once about ½ way through.
Remove from the heat, and allow it to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.