This recipe is one of our absolute favorites. We literally make it all the time. Robyn makes it as a quick week night meal and Quinn even uses it to impress her suitors. (fyi: it works like a charm)
Not only is it delicious, beautiful and FAST but it it’s mostly made from pantry staples!
It also employs one of the many Quick Cooking Tips you’ll learn in Rock the Kitchen: throw your greens or veggies into the pasta cooking water for quick cooking and to avoid using yet another pot/pan.
You have to try this recipe and let us know what you think down in the comments!
Time: 10 minutes
- 1 can butternut squash puree
- 1 package of black bean pasta (such as Explore Asia’s black bean spaghetti)
- 2-4 cups of washed baby spinach
- 1 large sweet white onion, small dice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup white wine (can swap for vegetable stock but it adds a nice flavor)
- 1 cup vegetable stock or water
- 1 heaping teaspoon dried tarragon (or basil, cilantro, sage or parsley)
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Sprinkle of parmesan or vegan cheese such as Daiya or nutritional yeast (optional)
Cook pasta according to the package instructions. About 2 minutes before it’s done, throw in a couple handfuls of spinach and allow it to cook down in the water.
To prepare the sauce, sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil on medium-high heat for about 4-5 minutes until soft. Season with salt and pepper.
After the onions become soft, deglaze the pan with white wine and use a wooden spoon to scrape the bottom of the pan. This gets up all the good bits of flavor.
Add the vegetable stock, butternut squash and tarragon to pan and season with salt and pepper again, then stir to combine.
Reduce heat and allow the sauce to thicken to desired consistency. If it’s bubbling you can put a lid on, just leave it slightly ajar.
When the pasta is done drain it in a fine mesh colander and run it under cool water to stop the cooking process. Top the pasta with sauce and a little bit of cheese, if desired.