For our inaugural #SaladFest2013 recipe we wanted to keep it simple, fresh and full of flavor so we’re giving you our Fresh Summer Herb Salad. Anything but the same boring old salad, this soon-to-be summer staple screams, “get me to the beach!” with its mix of aromatic herbs, sweet citrus-y dressing (that’s totally oil-free!) and creamy avocado-goodness.
Build it out anyway you see fit by adding on more fresh veggies or a lean protein.
Fresh Summer Herb Salad
Time: 10 minutes
- 1 small head red leaf lettuce (or any salad green of your choice), cleaned and chopped
- Handful of dandelion greens, chopped
- ½ small head of radicchio, chopped or sliced
- ½ bunch of radishes, thinly sliced
- ½ cup mixed fresh herbs such as parsley, mint, basil, cilantro or dill, roughly chopped
- ½ avocado, sliced
- 1-2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Splash of tamari
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon seaweed flakes (such as dulse or kelp seaweed flakes)
- 2 tablespoons ground flax meal
Throw all your greens (or in this case greens and reds!) in a bowl with the radishes and herbs. Add in avocado, nutritional yeast, lemon, tamari and salt then toss very well to combine. It’s important to thoroughly mix the nutritional yeast with the wet ingredients in order to bring out it’s creamy, cheesy flavor.
Hi! We’re Robyn + Quinn and we’re the founders of healthycookingcamp.com. Our mission is to take you from totally confused to total connoissuer in your kitchen. Follow our adventures in food and fun on Twitter and YouTube.